September 1st was our twentieth wedding anniversary. Twenty feels so BIG. I’m not sure why it’s different than nineteen or twelve. Something just feels special about it. I’m guessing all the following “big” ones will feel the same. There is something magical and sweet about marriage. About having a person committed to you despite the moments of being your worst self. I’m so grateful for that! As I reflected on the last two decades, I started a list of twenty random things about the years…things I’ve learned or noticed or just something that stood out to me.
So here is my list…twenty random things about twenty years of marriage.
- We bought a business! (And then oh my goodness, what were we thinking—we bought a business.)
- Children – they’ve taught me how much patience is lacking in my life. 😊
- Postpartum depression is the worst. Getting through it and coming through the other side—priceless.
- Prayer works. It is such a balm on the days when life gets stressful.
- Even in the moments I thought I was alone, I wasn’t. God never leaves our side.
- So nice to not only love my spouse, but to like him and want to hang out with him.
- A hug goes a long way.
- I talk a lot. I am very much a verbal processor.
- Asking for help is hard, accepting help is hard, going it alone is much harder.
- We think our kids are the coolest—we are biased.
- When the hard stuff happens, I’m thankful we have each other.
- I’m not sure who is more stubborn. Truly, it is a tossup. (Lord, help us.) 😉
- It’s so nice to have a logical, problem-solving spouse.
- Laughter is good for the marriage.
- Cooking is really not my thing, but my husband sweetly and honestly likes whatever I cook. Bonus!
- I started writing books. (And then oh my goodness, what was I thinking attempting to write books—this is way harder than I realized it would be!)
- Have I mentioned I’m not a patient person? Oy. I’m sorry to everyone around me.
- In response to number fifteen, my husband is great at grabbing to-go food when it’s his turn to “cook.”
- Love, love, love vacationing with our little family. The ocean is our favorite place. Okay, maybe it’s just my favorite place, but I’ve forced that love on everyone else.
- Thankful. Grateful. All the words to express what a blessing it is to be married twenty years after we said I do.
I’d love to hear a few random things from your last two decades. Married or not—it doesn’t matter—tell me, what’s something you’ve learned over the years about yourself? What memories stick out to you? DO TELL. Inquiring minds want to know.
Also – don’t forget to pop over to my current giveaways happening on my news page! I’m cleaning out my office and have books that need new homes.